Thursday, December 10, 2009

Justin is our hero of the day!
I cleaned out some of the ashes from our woodstove this morning and put them into a plastic bucket. (Ok, I know, but I didn't think they were hot anymore!) I stuck the bucket outside and went back in to finish getting the fire going again. While I was working on that, Justin headed outside to put some outgoing letters into the mailbox. The bucket had flames coming from it! Justin (thinking very quickly) dumped it into the snow and ran back in shouting "the bucket is on fire!" I went back out with him and buried the ashes in the snow. I don't know if there were actually flames coming from it, but the bucket was right next to the house, and things could have gotten much worse, I'm sure. God is good! I'm so glad Justin went out there!

Later this morning the kids were all playing chess together...








Sydney's "strategy" :o)








Emily has been doing a great job of potty training, so Daddy stopped and got her a crown with earrings and a rose to let her know how proud he is of his little princess. Isn't he a great Daddy!





Sydney has been standing on her own (without holding on), but hasn't quite gotten enough confidence to take a step yet.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

I am so glad that Justin went outside! The kids look so cute. Emily is such a lucky girl to have such a good Daddy. She looked so proud of herself. Rebecca

Cristen said...

Hey Abbiella did that for a LONG time... she is now walking as of her 11 mo birthday but because she is so little it looks funny! Glad all is well at the Schmiedeke home!!

shannon said...

hilarious. didn't i just tell you the story about our porch catching on fire last winter because of lisa's conviction that the air outside was cold enough against the hot coals? perhaps that was stephanie...

Stacy said...

Yes, Shannon, you told me that story! I think that was my thought at the time too..."even if they are still hot, it's way too cold outside for anything to happen in a few minutes." Hopefully others will learn from our stories!

sarah said...

I love Emily's princess costume.